River East Transcona is a dynamic, caring, and innovative school division where our teachers and staff dedicate their days to providing students with the education, guidance, and services they need to learn and reach their fullest potential.
We are the second-largest division in the province with around 18,276 students in 42 schools staffed by approximately 3,000 team members.
Located east of the Red River in the northeast quadrant of the city, we serve the urban communities of East and North Kildonan and Transcona, and the rural communities of East St. Paul and St. Clements—our Ward 5 trustee represents the rural area of our school division.
Our committed, talented staff employs fair and consistent rules, open communication, attitudes of inclusion, a foundation of solid values, and an exciting, full curriculum to help their students achieve their goals.
OUR DIVISIONAL FRAMEWORK
To educate students to be inspired, skilled, responsible citizens.
We provide inclusive, innovative, and engaging educational programming in a safe and caring environment.
At 澳门六合彩资料网站, we value a culture of:
Integrity: trust, honesty, and accountability
Equity: where everyone has what they need to be successful
Excellence: high expectations in pursuit of continuous improvement
Respect and Responsibility: partnerships and contributions of students, staff, families, and the community
- Elementary & Middle Years: 36
- High Schools: 6
- Learning Centres: 1
- Division Map
- Total (Oct. 31, 2023): 18,276
- Grades K–5: 8,221
- Grades 6–8: 4,236
- Grades 9–12: 5,960
- French Immersion: 3,727
- English-German Bilingual: 476
- English-Ukrainian Bilingual: 112
- Teaching: 1,333—includes teachers, principals, vice-principals, consultants, and student services staff
- Non-teaching: 2,169—all other staff, including substitutes and casual staff
Notes on the Torch
The River East Transcona School Division logo consists of two elements—our name and our icon, the torch of knowledge. It was designed to lead our students into the future, with each of the three segments representing a step to student success—early, middle, and senior years, respectively. The stylized flame is built using the letters S and C, which are meant to incorporate our positioning statement: creating student success.
Central School, which was built in Transcona in 1912–13, closed in 1995, and later demolished.
River East Transcona School Division was established in 2002 following the amalgamation of River East School Division No. 9 and the urban portion of Transcona-Springfield School Division No. 12. The two school divisions were merged as part of the Public Schools Modernization Act, which reduced the number of school divisions in Manitoba to 37 from 54.
Prior to 2002, River East School Division No. 9—established in 1959—served students living east of the Red River in the previous East Kildonan, North Kildonan, East St. Paul, and St. Clement school districts. The original farms and market gardens located east of the Red River—settled by descendants of the Selkirk settlers and European immigrants—were gradually replaced with modern residential subdivisions that brought with them an explosion in student enrolment. While a handful of schools in the division date to the early 1900s, most were built in the boom decades of the 1950s, '60s, and '70s.
Further east, early history saw Transcona—primarily an agricultural community—served by the South Springfield School District No. 39. Soon, however, the community was overtaken by industrial development when the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway company chose Transcona as the location for its shops. The town of Transcona was incorporated in 1912 and in 1913 Transcona School District No. 39 was created. It served the area for many decades.
Like River East, Transcona-Springfield School Division No. 12 came into being in 1959 with the consolidation of many of the province's school divisions. At the time, the division's reach extended to the rural communities of Dugald, Anola, and Oakbank. In 2002, when there were further consolidations of school districts, those rural portions of the division became part of Sunrise School Division.